Employees - 63
History of Department
The department originated in 1911 following major changes in Wisconsin state highway law. The state appointed an acting Highway Commissioner for 1912 and the County Board elected the first Highway Commissioner in November, 1912. Staffing has ranged from a high of 110 in 1926 to the current staff of 63.
Mission Statement / Departmental Purpose
The purpose is to construct and maintain the county trunk highway system of Eau Claire County and to maintain, under contract, the state trunk highway system as well as some of the township highways located within the county.
Seasonal Weight Restrictions begin February 20th
These weight restrictions are in effect for posted County Trunk Highways only. Weight restrictions on State, township, city, or village roads may be imposed by the respective governmental units. A list of the seasonal weight restrictions are hyperlinked below.
Updated Mailbox Policy
Effective as of 4/4/2016, the Eau Claire County Highway Department will not repair or replace mailboxes that are damaged due to snow removal.
- Eau Claire County Facebook Page
- 2016 County Highway Seasonal Weight Restrictions
- Adopt A Highway Program
- Implements of Husbandry (IoH)
- Directional and Informational Signs (SIS) (TODS)
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation
- WI DOT Travel Information
- WI DOT Travel Map
- 2015 Eau Claire County ATV Trails
- Mailbox Installation and Safety
- 2017 Seasonal Weight Restrictions
- 2017 PROJECT LOCATION MAP 021517
- ATV Route Application
- ATV Route Policy