"The Confluence" Project is a community collaboration and private/public partnership to construct, among other elements, a Community Arts Center in downtown Eau Claire. Eau Claire County has been asked to contribute $5,000,000 to help fund construction of the Community Arts Center with an estimated total cost of $50,000,000.
At their January 21, 2014, the Eau Claire County Board of Supervisors held a public comment session and asked questions of the confluence project representatives. After discussion the county board acted upon the Fact Sheet and Resolution, pledging $3,500,000 to help fund the construction of the "The Confluence" Community Arts Project.
The Resolution (see above) is subject to six contingencies:
1. Funding of at least $25,000,000 from the State of Wisconsin.
2. Funding of at least $20,000,000 from charitable gifts and other private and public investors.
3. Approval of necessary agreements between all parties having a financial interest.
4. Approval of a viable long-term operating budget and governing model by all parties involved in the financing and operation of the facility.
5. Approval of rezoning, all required permits and plans by the City of Eau Claire.
6. Approval of a referendum by Eau Claire County voters.
The County Board then directed the County Clerk to place a referendum question regarding the pledging of $3,500,000 for "The Confluence" project on the April 2014 ballot. (see resolution).
At the April 1, 2014, spring election, the referendum question regarding the county funding pledge of $3,500,000 for the Confluence Project passed by a 54.2% yes; 48.8% no vote. Therefore, the County's $3,500,000 pledge will only be paid after the other five contingencies noted above are met.