Recreational Drone Flyers

You are considered a recreational user if you fly your drone for fun. It is important to know when and where you can fly and how to register your drone. The FAA has recently updated rules for recreational use of drones.
For a full list of FAA rules for recreational use of drones please visit

Recreational flights in controlled airspace, or within 5 miles of the Chippewa Valley Regional Airport, can now be approved automatically through the FAA Low Altititude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) system. Visit for a list of FAA authorized LAANC service providers.


Part 107 Certified Pilots and/or Commercial Operators

If you have a small drone that is less than 55 pounds, you can fly for work or business by following Part 107 guidelines.

Under part 107, drone pilots planning to fly in controlled airspace must get permission from the FAA. You can submit requests for authorization to fly in controlled airspace near airports via the following two systems. LAANC is now available for requests to operate within EAU Class D Airspace for Part 107 operators!

  1. Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC)
  2. DroneZone

For more information on flying under Part 107 operations visit