EAU CLAIRE COUNTY
DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP REQUIREMENTS
Eau Claire County Courthouse
721 Oxford Avenue Room 3350
Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Questions can be addressed to (715) 839-4801
WHERE DO WE APPLY?
Applicants must apply in person at the County Clerk’s office in the county in which one or both of the partners have resided for the last 30 days immediately prior to application.
The Declaration of Domestic Partnership is issued 5 days after the date of the application.
WHO MAY APPLY FOR A DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP?
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Both parties must be at least 18 years of age and must be competent (to enter into a legal contract such as a domestic partnership).
- Neither party may be married.
- Neither party can be currently in a legal domestic partnership with another party.
- The parties must share a common residence.
- The parties must be of the same sex.
- The parties cannot be closer in relationship than second cousins (even if they are related by adoption or by half-blood.)
DOCUMENTS NEEDED TO APPLY
(any documents not in English must be translated and certified)
Each applicant must bring in the following documents:
- CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATE. A certified birth certificate is obtained from the Register of Deeds office in the county in which the birth occurred. Hospital-issued certificates, faxed copies, photocopies and notifications of birth registration are not certified birth certificates and are, therefore, unacceptable.
- Current (Non-expired) Photo Identification. Both applicants must present current (non-expired) photo identification such as a driver’s license, passport, alien card, school ID.
- Proof of Residency. Both applicants must present proof of current address. A current address is where an applicant has actually lived for the past 30 days. A driver’s license, ID card, lease agreement, bank statement or a bill may be used if it contains a current address.
- Applicants need to show proof of how the last domestic partnership or marriage ended. If an applicant was in a prior legal domestic partnership in Wisconsin (filed under the provisions of the 2009 Domestic Partnership Law, Wis. Stat. Chapter 770) or if an applicant was previously married, the applicant must supply documentary evidence of how the last legal domestic partnership or marriage ended. If either applicant has been previously married, a signed and dated copy of the divorce decree, annulment or death certificate from the most recent marriage must be presented.
- Applicants need to provide their Social Security numbers.
The Domestic Partnership fee is $80.00. There are no refunds and we cannot accept out-of-state checks. Payments can be made by cash, local check or credit card (credit card payments have a $1.91 convenience fee).
For a Printable version of these requirements click HERE
Domestic Partnership FAQs click HERE