District Attorney (Elected Official)
Deputy District Attorney (Appointed Official)
Assistant District Attorneys
- Benjamin Webster
- Loralee Clark
- Ellen M. Anderson
- Kelly Mandelstein
- Crystal Jensen
- Angela L. Beranek
- Eric Huse
Mission Statement / Departmental Purpose
The primary area of responsibility of the District Attorney’s Office is to prosecute individuals for committing misdemeanor and felony criminal offenses in Eau Claire County. In carrying out this responsibility, prosecutors initially review police reports generated in various types of criminal investigations. Prosecutors either file appropriate criminal charges based upon those investigations, request additional follow-up investigation, or determine that criminal charges are not appropriate. Once charges are issued, the District Attorney’s Office is responsible for all aspects of the resulting prosecution, including, in many instances, handling post-conviction and appeal matters.
Another category of cases handled by this office involves juvenile delinquency matters. As with adult criminal cases, this office reviews police reports and determines appropriate prosecutorial action, including filing a delinquency petition or entering into the more informal disposition of a consent decree. A final significant area of responsibility of the District Attorney’s Office is to provide advice and counsel to law enforcement agencies throughout the county. On a regular and continuing basis, law enforcement agencies consult with prosecutors in this office regarding appropriate courses of action in criminal investigations and related matters.
LINKS AND RESOURCES:
Provides access to public court records
Offers a “Legal Resources” Section and a “Public Resources” Section
Provides a “search” tool. There is also a “Site Map” that contains information about legal services, consumer alerts, resources, a legal question and answer section, and additional resources.
Lawyer Referral and Information Service at 1-800-362-9082 or www.wisbar.org LRIS has three main parts:
- Lawyer Referral – Provides name of an attorney to consult and when you mention the referral is from LRIS, the first half hour costs no more than $20;
- Lawyer Hotline – Offers general legal information or answers to simple legal questions. Schedules an appointment for an attorney to call you back within a couple of days to briefly discuss your question at no charge to you; and
- Community Referral – Gives a referral to a community resource that can assist you with your question.
- Third Wednesday of every month
- 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- LE Phillips Memorial Library in Eau Claire
- 24 Hour Crisis Line
- 715-723-1138 or 800-400-7020
Judicare Legal Advice Helpline at 800-472-1638
- Must be financially eligible
- Will answer “simple” legal questions
- M-F 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Public Defender’s Office at 715-836-2006
1 S Barstow St., 3rd Floor
Eau Claire, WI 54701-2621
Attorney General’s Office at 608-266-1221
114 E State Capitol
PO Box 7867
Madison, WI 53707-7857
Probation and Parole (Division of Community Corrections)at 715-836-971
2240 East Ridge Center
Eau Claire, WI 54701
Department of Workforce Development at 608-266-3131.
Provides information and assistance with regards to wage claims.