Permits and Applications


Oversize/Overweight Trip Permit:

Permit to transport a non-divisible load exceeding statutory size and/or weight. This permit is for movement of loads on the County Trunk Highway System of Eau Claire County ONLY. Movement on State Highways must have a permit from the State. Movement on City, Village or Town roads must have a permit from each local municipality.

DOT "Determine if permit is required" Link


Implements of Husbandry (IOH) Permit:

This permit should be used by an owner or lessee of an Implement of Husbandry (IoH) for permission to operate an IoH on town, city, village or county roads because the IoH: An IoH is a self-propelled or towed vehicle that is manufactured, designed or reconstructed to be used and that is exclusively used in the conduct of agricultural operations


Tourist Oriented Directional Signs (TODS):

Tourist oriented directional signs (TODS) provide motorists with directional information for qualifying tourist-related businesses, services, or activities. Tourist-related businesses, whose major portion of income or visitors is derived from visitors who do not reside in the immediate area where the business is located, qualify for TODS. The business cannot have direct access to a state or U.S. highway, but must be located within five miles of a state or U.S. highway.


Adopt a Highway:

Adopt-A-Highway program is the official coordination system for generous volunteer efforts that remove trash, recyclables and litter from the highway.


Land Access Driveway from County Trunk Highway Permit:

An application for a land access permit must be completed to refill or install a driveway or culvert that connects directly to a County highway. Driveway permits are issued by officials of the Eau Claire County Highway Department and are required for all residential and commercial access onto a county highway

Utility Permit:

An application for a utility permit must be completed and submitted to the Eau Claire County Highway Department when utility work is to be performed in the County highway right of way. These policies apply to all existing utility facilities retained, relocated, replaced, or altered, and to new utility facilities installed within the highway right-of-way.

ATV Route:

Application Form must be completed and forwarded to the Highway Commissioner or Designee by a Town/Village/Municipal Board for consideration. Before a highway segment can be considered for designation as an ATV route