Eau Claire and the Chippewa Valley are growing, and the 2020 Census is essential for our continued success in the next decade. Our goal is for each and every person living in Eau Claire County to be counted!
Every household will receive a census form by April 1, 2020. The Census will be easy and quick to complete – either online or on paper – and help is available if needed.
Although the Census Bureau is preparing for the census, they can’t do this without the help of local partners such as Eau Claire County, businesses, nonprofits, faith-based organizations, colleges, school districts and the media. We’re committed to a complete and accurate count of all Eau Claire County residents because EVERYONE COUNTS!
Census Commonly Asked Questions
Why Does the Census Matter to You?
Many residents think census data is only used to determine the number of legislative seats Wisconsin has in Washington D.C. or Madison. However, this is only a part of what is determined by census results. Census participation also determine the amount of federal money Wisconsin receives each year to support:
- Social services programs that provide assistance to residents, including senior citizens, veterans and low-income families; and
- Hospitals and emergency healthcare centers for the insured and uninsured
- Infrastructure needs, such as road construction and repair;
- Community facilities such as public transit;
- Schools and school districts in your community;
- Emergency preparedness programs;
- Businesses decisions to potentially build or expand their corporate offices or factories, bringing employment opportunities to communities; and
- Planning for future growth and development in the community
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction estimates that each person not counted results in $1,500 of lost funding per year. Cumulatively, that could mean up to $43 million dollars a year of lost Federal funding in Wisconsin.
Get the Facts
For complete information about the 2020 Census visit: https://2020census.gov/en.html.
Since you are living in Eau Claire for the majority of the calendar year, you should be counted here in Eau Claire, not where your parents reside.
If you live in one of the University dorms, you will be contacted by someone from Campus Housing and asked to complete your 2020 Census questionnaire.
If you live off-campus, the 2020 Census questionnaire will be mailed to each housing unit. Only one questionnaire will be sent to each dwelling unit or apartment, so it is important that all your roommates are included on the Census form.
Census forms will be mailed out in mid-March, 2020.
Your responses are confidential and the Census Bureau will not share this information with any other organization!
Remember… it’s important that you are counted… it’s important for Eau Claire County!