Commercial Building Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Where do I need a permit for a Commercial Project?

Permitting Authority.thumbnail             OnlinePermitApplication

Permitting Authority

When do I need a Commercial Permit from Eau Claire County? 

  • A new building or structure containing less than 50,000 cubic feet of total volume.
  • An addition to a building or structure where the area of the addition results in the entire building or structure containing less than 50,000 cubic feet of total volume.
  • An addition containing no more than 2,500 square feet of total floor area and no more than one floor level, provided the largest roof span does not exceed 18 feet and the exterior wall height does not exceed 12 feet.
  • An alteration of a space in a building containing less than 100,000 cubic feet of total building volume.
  • New or rewired electrical services in a commercial structure.
  • Alterations to a commercial building's structure or alterations to a commercial building's plumbing, heating, or electrical systems
  • All electrical wiring in a commercial structure of any size or volume.
  • Any conversion of a building from one use to a commercial use.

What do I need to submit for a Commercial Permit?

  • Apply for a Commercial Permit online through Inspect Wiz
  • A completed plan review application: (Printable  /  Fillable)
  • Site plan
  • Building plans (including structural components such as the roof truss, floor truss, metal building, etc.)
  • Applicable fees (see Fee Schedule)
  • Zoning (land use) and sanitary permits

Commercial Plan Review Checklist
Setback Requirements by Zoning District

Related Documents

Building Plan Checklist
HVAC Plan Checklist
Kitchen Hood Checklist
Lighting Plan Checklist
Truss Submittal Checklist

Internet Links

Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services