The Nonmetallic Mining program seeks to rehabilitate mining land while also recognizing the importance of the mining industry to the county's economic and social well-being. By administering and enforcing an impartial set of standards and regulations, the program promotes the successful reclamation of operational sites to purposeful use and acceptable landscape appearance.
Permit Application Process
Towns with county zoning administration:
- If mining operations will cover more than 10 acres (over the life of the mine), the property must first be rezoned to the Nonmetallic Mining Overlay District (see Rezoning page for more information on the process). Operations less than 10 acres do not need to be rezoned.
- Submit conditional use, reclamation, and storm water & erosion control permit applications to Planning & Development staff (see table below for application materials).
- Attend the Planning & Development Committee public hearing, where the applications are considered for approval or denial.
Towns without county zoning administration (Bridge Creek, Fairchild, Ludington and Wilson):
- Submit a reclamation permit application and a storm water & erosion control permit application to Planning & Development staff.
- If required, attend the public hearing where the Planning & Development Committee considers the reclamation permit for approval.
County Code Regulations
17.05 Stormwater Management and Erosion Control
18.21 Conditional Uses
18.34 Nonmetallic Mining Overlay District
18.91-18.97 Nonmetallic Mining Reclamation
|Conditional Use Application (printable / fillable)||Fee Schedule|
|Land Use Permit Application (printable / fillable)||Process for Reclamation Plan Review|
|Nonmetallic Mining Reclamation Application (printable / fillable)||Nonmetallic Mining Reclamation Checklist|
|Rezone Application (printable / fillable)||Eau Claire County NM Rezone Flowchart|
|Stormwater & Erosion Control Permit Application|
|DNR Reclamation Manual||Eau Claire County Code|
|Frac Sand Mining Fact Sheet||See: Titles 17.05,18.21, 18.28, 18.34, 18.91-18.97|
|Eau Claire County Moratorium|
|Silica Sand Mining Policy|
|Department Recommendations||DNR Nonmetallic Mining Homepage|
|Eau Claire City/County Health Dept.
Final Report to County Board 3/23/12
|Wisconsin Statute (Admin. Rule NR 135)|
Eau Claire County and West-Central Wisconsin Maps
|Zoning||Generalized Groundwater||Bedrock Geology||Permitted Frac Sand Operations|
*None at this time.
|Hi-Crush in Town of Bridge Creek (Frac Sand operation)|
|Public Hearing Notice||Reclamation Plan Narrative||Site Borings Map
||Anticipated Volumes Info|
(August 16, 2016)
|Amended Permit Application Materials
(April 13, 2016)
|High Country Sand in Town of Otter Creek (Frac Sand Operation)|
|Public Hearing Notice
||Reclamation Plan Narrative||Conditional Use Permit||Reclamation Permit|
|Five Star Properties in the Town of Bridge Creek (Frac Sand Operation)|
|Public Meeting Materials|
|Notice||Informational Meeting Statement||12.11.12 Meeting Power Point Presentation||Review Letter from 3rd Party Engineer
||Reclamation Plan Narrative||Amended 12.4.12 - Part 1||Amended 12.4.12 - Part 2||Amended 12.4.12 - Plans|
||2017 Well Report|