Here is your resource for information on the proposed Vehicle Registration Fee
Issue statement : Current funding model is unsustainable for continued investment into highway infrastructure.
Transitioning a portion ($2.3 million) of highway funding to a source other than borrowing has a 10 year savings of $3,827,850 in interest not paid, and issuance cost.
$2.3 million is based on $30 vehicle registration fee.
Combining a new revenue source (vehicle registration fee) with efficiency measures (history detailed below) will provide for ongoing maintenance of roads within a more sustainable model.
FAQ - click "FAQ" to find answers to frequently asked questions
of Eau Claire
- 421 miles of highways with an average condition rating of 5.4 out of 10
- Average age of highway is 36 years (or 1982)
- Currently 80% of our failed highways are local or minor road classifications
- Current reconstruction need of $35 million dollars to replace all failed and poor condition highway miles
- $6 million in funding needed annually to reach a condition rating of 6 in 10 years
- Ongoing maintenance need of $5.1 million dollars; currently have $4.78 million. Bridges
- 72 bridges on Eau Claire County highways
- Average condition rating of 79.2 out of 100
- Average age of bridge is 53 years (or 1965)
- Currently have 9 bridges in need of replacement
- Currently have 5 bridges posted below 40 ton capacity
- Current investment need of $28.875 million dollars for all bridge repairs